Help to Buy (England)
Help to Buy is a product in the Government’s HomeBuy range designed to help buyers in England buy your new home in an affordable way. Help to Buy will enable an eligible buyer to purchase a brand new home, funded by an affordable mortgage and with assistance from a HomeBuy agency.
Help to Buy gives you the chance to buy a new home with the assistance of an equity stake. The value of the stake is a maximum of 20% of the full price of the property. The maximum full purchase price is set at £600,000.
Under Help to Buy, the government provides an equity stake as follows:
- Government provides an equity stake of 20%
- You arrange a mortgage for 75%
- Meaning your deposit is 5%
Download our guide for full details:
To be eligible for Help to Buy, you should:
- Be a would-be buyer unable to afford a suitable home in their local area
- Be able to demonstrate access to savings or funds to pay, if required, a deposit (which may be 5% or more of the purchase price, legal fees, stamp duty and costs of moving)
- Have a good credit history
- Take out a mortgage with a qualified lender (e.g. a bank or building society)
Help to Buy (England) is only available on selected homes at selected developments in England. Eligible applicants will be offered an equity stake of up to a maximum of 20% of the full market price. The Homes & Communities Agency will hold the second charge on the property. Applicants are required to fund at least 80% of the purchase price by means of a mortgage and any deposit where required. For the first five years there is no fee charged on the equity stake component. At the start of year six a fee is collected of 1.75% of the market value of the property at the time the stake is entered into multiplied by the outstanding percentage under the equity stake, the annual fee of 1.75% will be uplifted by RPI +1% p.a. The equity stake is provided by the Homes and Communities Agency and developer as a second charge. Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up your repayments on your mortgage. Help to Buy is not available for part-exchange or buy-to-let.