Nestled on the edge of The Wisp and Village of Danderhall with the captivating Pentland Hills, Shawfair North, with a blend of mining villages, market towns and city living all situated amongst its natural beauty; Stewart Milne Homes plan to build a collection of around 115 premium 3, 4, 5 & 6 bedroom detached homes in Shawfair North accessed from ‘The Wisp’.
Rural living means cleaner air, and an altogether more natural environment. What’s planned is an overall area that consists of a well-defined and attractive town centre with restaurants, offices, shops, markets, art galleries, libraries, health centres, a swimming pool and nursery and school education from ages 3 onwards.
Schooling provision within Shawfair will develop in anticipation of the increasing number of families moving there.
Current arrangements/timescales for additional provision:
- Dalkeith Secondary School - currently open to Shawfair pupils.
- Danderhall Primary School - currently open to Shawfair pupils.
- Danderhall Primary School, redeveloped learning campus with leisure and library facilities - open to Shawfair pupils from August 2020.
- Shawfair Town Centre Primary School (part of the new Community Campus) - open to Shawfair pupils in 2024.
- Shawfair Town Centre Secondary School (part of the new Community Campus) - open to Shawfair pupils in 2026.
- Nursery and pre-school facilities are planned for the town centre, within easy reach of transport hubs and the new Community Campus.
The Edinburgh City Bypass (A720) offers quick links to Edinburgh Airport (14 miles), Glasgow (50 miles) and other destinations. The A1 is only minutes away.
Shawfair railway station is right beside the emerging town centre with train journey times to and from Edinburgh taking only 15 minutes.
Sheriffhall Park and Ride operated by City of Edinburgh Council - is minutes from Shawfair beside the A7, with over 500 spaces and frequent buses to the city centre via the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
Eight miles of cycle and walking paths are being designed to encourage active travel.